View Single Post
Old 25-04-2008, 18:25   #97
Eric
God Member

Re: General Election Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
I'm still wanting a clear cut answer as to why Cameron would be a good leader?

I don't want any "well Gordon Brown isn't good because...". No. I want actual concrete reasons why David Cameron would be a good Prime Minister wish strong leadership qualities, no reasons related to anything else, no BS, just attributes about him that would make him a good strong leader for the nation.

Step up Tories and get ready to be knocked down.
This idea of leadership has always troubled me in politics. It seems that everyone expects something different. Some want charisma, some toughness, some integrity, etc.; and most want everyting. Problem is that until someone holds the highest office there is no easy way of assessing his leadership qualities. When someone is leading the opposition they have an easy job ... they oppose, simple. And they can say what they want in opposition, they can appear forceful and innovative etc. I have always found that, in opposition, any politican can make dramatic statements of what he/she will do in office; but when they are elected to that office, they come out with the same meaningless bs that they criticized when they were in opposition. Seems to me that the guide should be when thinking of leadership qualities: "don't expect too much, and you won't be disappointed." And if a new leader doesn't deliver what he promises, don't be disappointed; he will quite happily blame his failings on the previous administration. It goes like this; "I am sorry I can't fulfill my promises to cut taxes, increase pensions, make hamburgers grow on trees, because of the fiscal mess left by my predecessor in office." I just vote for a party whose general principles I agree with (in my case the NDP) and hope for the best.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote