Thread: mr britcliffe
View Single Post
Old 25-04-2008, 22:20   #58
onlyme

Re: mr britcliffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I don't think the council can take all the blame for the rubbish selection of shops we have.

There may be some of us who would spend our money in an Accrington branch of Next or River Island but it seems we are in the minority.

Store chains do their research and check out the buying habits of the population before setting up in a town.

Sadly, they will be able to see that they wouldn't last long in Accrington because so many people want the dirt cheap stuff.
Exactly Lilly

And I dont think its because of local government that we have a shoddy selection of retail shops.

Lets face it, Accrington used to be a busy town with its own industry and business. As the global marketplace has opened up, manufacturing is cheaper to do abroad, and the money has leaked out of the area.

How many people remember the closure of Rist wires when that was relocated? Approx 600 people out of work, in a town without the jobs that they can fall into.

I think the current government has more fault than local for the problems in the area. If there werent so much of a North/South divide, the local area would improve no end.

Also, going back to the initial posts, I think the fact that the new health centre on Blackburn Road was open for less than a week before the windows were smashed in shows that gentle persuasion, or even a pride in the area is not happenning
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote