View Single Post
Old 30-04-2004, 23:00   #1
Atarah
Senior Member+

Broadway/New railway station

Hurrah! At last! There are apparently plans "afoot" to modernise Broadway again! Phew! Thank goodness for that! I thought the Council had forgotten all about it! They are apparently wanting to create something which has a focal point i.e. a meeting place for people. They will never be able to beat "the clock on legs" in Peel Street, eh? Seating will be on the agenda. That will be nice again! I say, put it back how it was, but .. there are plans to have kiosks down the centre. (Have you seen the Continental Market thats there from Friday 30th April till Mon 3rd May? - it looks rather well actually, there are quite a few stalls down the length of Broadway and some in front of the Town Hall and Market Hall - very expensive though)

And .. there is talk of a new railway station - which will link up with a new bus station, to be built on land between Union Street and Edgar Street. Thats all well and good, but ... what about the new market which is on Peel Street. The poor stallholders. Surely that will take their trade away. People wont want to be shopping in Peel Street and then having to carry heavy bags all the way to Union Street area. Course they wont! Are they trying to get people to do all their shopping at the ASDA end of town?

I think Mr Adrian Shurmers suggestions of a new bus station on Eastgate sounds a brilliant idea, and I would like to hear more of his ideas. Why cant ordinary people be on the commitee that decides on things that affect our daily lives? I bet those who decide dont even live in Accrington and they probably drive a car, so wont even shop here!

Oh dear, life gets complicated, eh?

Here are a few different views of Broadway from a few years back. The sixth photo is the best, when we had the flower beds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28.jpg (23.0 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg 20.jpg (33.9 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg 24.JPG (61.3 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg broadway1970s.JPG (53.0 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg Broadway1996.JPG (62.7 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg postcard_resize.JPG (47.5 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg broadwayjuly02.JPG (54.2 KB, 164 views)

Last edited by Atarah; 30-04-2004 at 23:09.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web