View Single Post
Old 19-05-2008, 20:20   #6
Greg Pope

Re: MPs Allow 'Frankenstein' Embryos

Just to let you know that I voted (unsuccessfully) against allowing human-animal hybrid embryos to be created for research purposes. I don't subscribe to some of the hysteria surrounding this issue and I thought the 'Frankenstein' comments of one Scottish bishop were pretty unhelpful. I tried to balance out the chances of such research coming up with a cure for some terrible diseases against my own ethical reservations about creating human-animal hybrid embryos. I also promised to listen to the views of my constituents about this - including some regular Accywebbers - before arriving at a decision.

I realise that some people will be disappointed about the way I voted but I would like you to know that I gave it a great deal of thought and did what I thought was best - whatever I did would upset some.

You may also like to know that this is the first of several ethical issues that the Commons will vote on over the next day or so. We are next due to vote on what have been called 'saviour siblings' followed by abortion votes tomorrow. If anyone has views on these issues that they want to raise with me please do so either on here or email me at [email protected]
Greg Pope is offline   Reply With Quote