View Single Post
Old 14-05-2004, 12:39   #21
Darby

Re: RESTORATION - in Accy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
The interesting thing is that the estimate to build a similar structure today is close on £100m......of course, if it had been built as large as Bullough originally specified - 221ft across the front, to match his yacht - then it would be half as much again.
What I find objectionable is the fact that this 2nd Bullough wasrarely seen in Accy, preferring instead to ride to hounds in Leicester while the 3rd Bullough blew the money on nags down at Newmarket (Unlike me.....I spend 90% of my money on drink, fags and women and the rest I waste)...

Whatever the argument for saving this particular property - and there are several - one thing is for sure. The working-class taxpayers of Accy have already paid for it many, many times over.....let the heavily-subsidised Jocs pay for it instead. Afterall, ther're the ones who get the benefit of it.
A great article that one on the Castle, and I can just imagine the idle rich wasting money whilst the rest of Accy slaved away for peanuts.

The Commercial and the warehouse next to it should have been improved many years ago. In fact I can remember the place actually being in use. The whole site could make an excellent attraction and mayde his knibs at Ossy Mills would be interested.

The main problem I foresee is the yobs and Gypos that inhabit the area (No I don't include those on Lion Stret!). But a sort of Ossy Mills extension linked to the waterways may provide a different sort of atmosphere.

However, you're right about most things, and getting anybody interested in doing anything about it is almost impossible. Still it's good to have some ideas.

PS: Just back for the day, on my travels again to-morrow!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote