View Single Post
Old 31-05-2008, 19:46   #2
jambutty
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: this is the best time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
i think with rising fuel costs thats out of the goverment's hands this could be the best chance to change a generation and more of people habits.instead of everybody being lazy the goverment should invest heavily in public transport by making public transport more accessible and maybe take control and make an intregated structured transport system ie with electric buses that are prioritised in traffic zones and more trains plus whoever runs them have to keep to a standard of cleaniless puncuality and prices capped.with the rising cost and population britain is just going to become gridlock which will cost business time and money.i also think it is time to reverse the thatcher policies that are bearing fruit now.if we kept british gas and nationalised the oil companies kept british telecom ,the railways ie give the profit to greedy shareholders instead of investing for the future and not sold the family silver this country would be in a better position..
Sorry but the rising fuel costs are not out of this government’s hands. Brown could reduce the duty and VAT on fuel to maintain a cash level at the pump if he chose to.

Every time that the fuel is increased the duty and VAT gained in cash terms is also increased thus giving the Chancellor a bit extra. Sort of a triple whammy.