View Single Post
Old 01-06-2008, 16:18   #102
g jones
Senior Member+

Re: Police Probe Vote Rigging Complaints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I have to agree with you on that Gayle. I think both parties struggle to find the right people (or any at all) to stand for Councillor. I also think you can't expect people to run the Council for nothing. I also wonder how someone who is working full time would be able to be Leader of the Council. If a Councillor is voted in as leader and they already have a job it is a big risk leaving that job to be the leader. Not an easy position to be in in my opinion.

Maybe Graham could advise us how he plans to manage work, home, kids and being the Leader of the Council if he ever finds himself in that position.

I think, but am often wrong, that Peter was part time before he retired/stopped working. I have no idea if he left work because of his Council duties but it would not surprise me.
I think this is good point. Not to get political, just to say I support Dave Mason's comments, PB excludes others and takes the role full time ++. Often Portfolio holders hear their comments for the first time when PB has sent them to the press.

I have planned all along to do things differently for two reasons. To share things around, to get everyone involved to lighten the load considerably. Secondly it will make for a better Borough. In two years as leader people are happy (in the Labour Group) that things have improved considerably towards a unified, coherent, team work approach.

There is also the issue of meetings/structure. If they were constructed better, and in the evenings, that would help. People are excluded at the moment so the leader has to do more work, a lot more.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote