View Single Post
Old 04-06-2008, 13:16   #37
katex
Resting in Peace

Re: Biker fuel protest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
If the budget allows for ‘X’ tons of road surfacing material it would be more cost effective to fill holes than build large humps. I have yet to see a hole that is as large as or larger than a hump. In any case the trend seems to be to build the humps too high so that many cars catch and damage the edges, not to mention the car underside.

Apart from all that road humps may well slow traffic down but they also cause more pollution.

The antiquated Victorian attitude of punishing the whole class for the behaviour of a few applies when the issue is to the detriment of the whole. But when it comes to the advantage of the community the powers that be seek a majority verdict.

Just exactly what does 61% killed or seriously injured mean?

Is it 1% killed and 60% injured? Or is it 60% killed and 1% injured. Or is it something in between? Lumping killed and injured in the same statistic is meaningless.

I wonder how many of those kids killed or seriously injured can be laid down at the door of the motorist and how many such events are down to the child stepping out without looking if it is safe to do so?

How many adults with kids to hand actually stop and look before crossing the road? Far too many just cross. Mothers with prams stand at the kerb and the pram is in the road.

Whatever happened to teaching kids road safety at an early age?
Can't disagree Jambutty, road safety has to be addressed at both the drivers and pedestrians, road humps are addressing it to the motorists and sure have saved many lives in the past. I think that most adults are responsible when on the pavements with their children, and, yes, there are the odd few that stick the pram out first, but have noticed not so often these days. Children will run out between cars true (no matter how many times they have been taught road safety) when they get excited and distracted by the fun of playing out, that's why road humps can be useful I suppose.

Sorry, don't know the split of deaths against serious injury, but no matter what it is .. still a community concern.

Hate those little high humps .. the ones on Asda car park are real bone-shakers if you just go over them at a higher speed (I mean like 12 mph or something)
katex is offline   Reply With Quote