View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008, 13:26   #1
jambutty
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Food Glorious Food

Recent reports have indicated that for every one pound spent on food, thirty pence worth does not get eaten and is thrown away.

Recent reports also reveal that there are millions in the world actually starving to death through not just lack of food but from its cost.

A further report – and this will please the veggies amongst us – suggests that we are not using our arable land anywhere near as efficiently as we can. The report went on to state that an acre of land growing wheat will feed more people than that same acre set aside for cattle/sheep grazing. The implication being that using land to produce meat instead of cereal/root crops is the real cause of the world food shortage. I would suggest that indiscriminate breeding also has an effect. Not forgetting the re-distribution of food or rather the lack of it.

It was also suggested that any land that can be ploughed should be used to grow food for humans and not animals. Only land that cannot be ploughed should be used as grassland for animals.

Can you see where this is going?

Enter GM crops.

And eventually the world as portrayed in the film Soylent Green where the masses got fed a ‘nutritious’ biscuit whilst the well off and their cohorts fed on proper meals.

Stop the world I want to get off.