View Single Post
Old 06-06-2008, 15:22   #31
jambutty
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Free light bulbs from British Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
The lamps cost nothing like £10, less than a couple of quid in Asda.

Think of the saving nationally not just personally.
You are right they have become a lot cheaper than since the last time I looked.

I got some 100w (1365 lumens) traditional bulbs today at 44p for TWO. The nearest equivalent in low energy (1130 lumens) bulbs would cost just under two quid EACH.

I have one 100w bulb in the living room, bedroom, kitchen, washroom and lobby. A 60w bulb in a table lamp over the TV and a 15w pigmy (switchboard) bulb in a bedside lamp. For nearly nine months in a year the 100w bulbs just gather dust. Even in winter they rarely get switched on. The bedside light gets switched on for less than five minutes per day as I prepare for bed. The lamp over the TV is only switched on when it gets darkish in the living room.

I haven’t changed a 100w bulb for over 8 years and I can’t remember when was the last time that I changed the 15w bulb. The TV lamp generally lasts about 6 months. The saving per year can be counted in pennies and that would be eaten away with the cost of LE bulbs.

If I were to use low energy bulbs everywhere, the room lights would last some 60 years, the bedside light at least 100 years and the TV light maybe 5 years. At 71 I’m unlikely to last 60 more years.

Although I do care what happens to this planet my contribution would be less that negligible.