View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008, 10:24   #65
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: Who gets your vote for the next president

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
OK Garinda,

this actually works to my advantage. No human is purely white, but most 'white' people are pale, and as we associate everything with a colour, we choose the nearest one, in accordance with our race, white. I suppose we could choose pink, or whatever, but we don't for whatever reason. I actually think of my own skin colour as light tanned but unfortunately everything formal refers to our race as white.

I didn't know his heritage or the way he refers to himself, therefore the way best for me to describe him is as a coloured man. It would be worse for me to refer to him as a black man if he himself does not necessarily refer to him in such a way, like assuming someone is chinese when they are actually japanese for example.

I am also quite capable of using google, and I am also educated enough to know how to use the English language without having the PC brigade on my heels telling me what is right and wrong, when I was clever using the words in a friendly context that doesn't even require your input, nor do I feel you even have the right to comment on such a thing when it isn't even an issue.

Not to mention that by your theory, obama isn't black either :S
If you ever manage to find yourself in court and use the term 'coloured' it will be deemed offensive by those in the legal system with a little more experience of life than yourself.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote