View Single Post
Old 17-06-2008, 17:09   #18
jambutty
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Haz mat suit for sikhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoman View Post
My view is that all times the best person should get the job, and actually banging on about equality and non descrimination is one of the surest ways to bring it about. Left to it, normal employers want the best person for their job regardless of race,sex,disability etc.

However I also think that there is a feeling in this country that "I am owed a job", rather than getting off your bum and working hard to find one and sticking too it. What happens is people refuse to make any compromise expecting the company to bend over backwards to accomodate them. Guess what...you work for them not the other way around. The company does not exist to give you a job. However in my experience if you work hard its rewarded, sometimes making some adjustments and the company too and everyone gets what they want. So in this case, my opinion the chap had the option of quitting, shaving the beard and not wearing the turban, taking a different job in the police force, or as mentioned finding out what everyone else did

£100,000 :-0 So how many hip replacements, innoculation, school books, overtime hours for police is that ?
I agree with everything that you stated except for “The company does not exist to give you a job.

The company exists to provide a service or a product and to make some money for the owner and the government. Usually a lot more than the workers get. In order to achieve the aims, workers are needed.

A company could not exist without the workers but the workers could exist without a specific company and go and work for someone else.