View Single Post
Old 24-06-2008, 16:33   #39
WillowTheWhisp
Resident Waffler

Re: Heinz to withdraw 'Gay Kiss' advert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
i found this advert offensive not because it was 2 gay men but because they had a child calling the man mummy

sory but that dosnt sit right with me and although no expert i dont think gay male couples who have children would expect a child to call a man mummy just as 2 lesbian women wouldnt expect a child to call a woman daddy

well thats what i think anyway

But they weren't calling a man Mummy. It was their Mummy but she was being depicted as a deli counter server because that was how they were all treating her. Like Gayle said, sometimes Mum's feel like that, or that they are a telephonist/secretary or a taxi driver/chaffeur. If it had been about taking kids to this that and the other and dropping hubby off somewhere the wife would probably have been played by a man in a peaked cap.

That was precisely why it didn't come across as two gay men - BECAUSE the kids called one of them Mum because in reality she wasn't a man she was their female Mum but just fulfilling her 'New York Deli Counter' role which is usually a man with one of those silly hats and a Bronx accent.

I think the subtelty of the image went over too many heads and that offence was consequently caused where none was ever imagined.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote