Thread: New Tesco Store
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2008, 11:30   #113
Gayle
God Member

Re: New Tesco Store

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post

In the end only a kamikaze pilot would have turned it down because it was unwinable (with a costly defeat in prospect). In an ideal world we should be able to say no to almost anything and not have to be held to account by people (or big business) outside of the Borough. That would be true democracy but no party has (or is currently) in favour of that.
This is an interesting point because I think one of the reasons why Accrington has gone down hill is because of people saying 'no' all the time. The local Chamber of Trade or Shopkeepers Forum (whatever they're called - I can't remember) seem to be up in arms about stuff all the time. If they'd been saying yes then possibly there would be more things going on in the town centre. The only way to get investment into the town centre is to drag it in other retailers and create some competition.

Now, I realise that people are nervous about a Tesco taking their trade but let's face it, if you're going to shop in a supermarket you're already in Asda each week anyway.

What has to happen is that the town centre team has to capitalise on this and use it to draw other retailers in and to encourage business to thrive in the area.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote