View Single Post
Old 09-07-2008, 21:54   #26
Bonnyboy

Re: Hyndburn council's Accrington cash office closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I don't know why people want to go to the office and queue up to pay their council tax. Can you explain please?

Why don't you get it on direct debit?

This way the money will go out of your account every month and you will not have to spend time queuing.

I've had mine on direct debit for 8 years now. I've never had a problem with it.
Once set up a DD with them but they didn’t take the payment. Three months later I got a snotty letter telling me that I had to pain full. Rang them explained the problem, the outcome was that the payment was condensed into 5 monthly payments as opposed to 10 ( it took them 2 months to sort out ) Never again.

Also have the T - Shirt that accyman and lancsdave have. I pay over the phone now ( christ, do they only have one line or what ? ) I give my debit card number and get a Ref No as proof of payment. Got a similar type snotty letter as previous. Luckily I keep all my paperwork up to date, somehow there had been an error on their part and the payment had not been taken. Bloody pain to sort out.

About 3 years ago I used to pay at the Town Hall. I went down to pay what I thought was my last instalment. Payment was duly accepted. I came home to find that I had paid one month too much. I rang them up some 20min after paying them asking if they would just stick the cash back in my account. Hell no…that was far too easy. They needed me to state my case in writing and they would look into it.