View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 18:44   #432
jambutty
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Don't bug me teacher, eating me breakfast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
From the view of a young person who left high school just three years ago, her views are entirely correct. She should be commended for speaking out about the teacher's actions. Hopefully it will make people who demand a 'fight fire with fire' approach to tardiness a little wiser, or looking at this thread perhaps it won't.
Displaying anger towards young people only breeds more of the same. It can't achieve anything. What may see a positive effect is an attempt to raise educational standards. Raise them to a level where pupils actually want to be in school on time every morning, or at least see the value of punctuality before they break the rules. I think that's what a lot of people are missing here - modern high school pupils are losing the value of punctuality and polite behaviour etc, rather than intentionally and consistently going against these values and breaking the rules. You can't be dismissing morals and values if you aren't given any to follow in the first place. It's not the pupil's fault that the education system in this country is failing them completely. Children spend the most of their time in education and the goverment are only concerned with making them exam passing machines for these wonderful (urgh) 'targets' they set, rather than bringing up PEOPLE.
I’ll go along with your view for the most part.

I would just add that the pupils themselves also have some responsibility in this equation.