View Single Post
Old 24-07-2008, 21:10   #24
Eric
God Member

Re: Lancashire hot pot ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
We have Atora Suet here, it's in packets of 250 grammes. They do a vegetarian suet, too, but I'm not keen on it. I never thought about it being a peculiarly British commodity, I just assumed it was a world-wide thing.

I think, if I lived in Canada, I'd have to keep popping back to England to stock up on supplies.
You most definitely would ... Canadians look at a steer and see steak, roasts, and hamburger, and that's as far as we go .... maybe stewing beef. Liver maybe .... but no one goes for the heart or the kidney's or the tongue .... you can get tongue only with difficulty, and I know of only one place in town where you can get steak and kidney pie. Lamb isn't very popular with the masses. There are no fish and chip shops in town .... yes, there is one .... The Rose and Crown has take out for fish and chips, but the R&C is owned by Eddie Walker from Preston, so maybe it doesn't count.

On the plus side, we live well, and food costs are low. And it looks like it might stay that way, as our economy will probably avoid the worst of the recession that seems about to hit the US and England.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote