View Single Post
Old 26-07-2008, 14:26   #211
jambutty
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Thatcher to get State funeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
So when you joined the peacetime Royal Navy (of which you tell us 'ad nauseam' )during the days when we put Kenyan/Cypriot/Malay nationists in either concentration camps or shipped them off to exile, to whom did you take your oath of allegiance ? the Queen or the Country ? , think if you check things out you will find both you and following generations , including the young folks presently serving in Iraq and Afghanistan took an oath of allegiance to H.M. the Queen.

no offense intended to anyone who served either 'regular' or 'national service' during these conflicts , the British succss in Malaya compared to the US debacle in Vietnam is something still taught in military schools and colleges .
Mentioning the Royal Navy a handful of times in 2,895 posts can hardly be called ad nauseam. But then I forgot, you’ve just discovered a bit of Latin and hope to impress people with your ‘knowledge’.

Quote:
“We” put Kenyan/Cypriot/Malay nationists in either concentration camps or shipped them off to exile?
Since when were the Yanks involved in those incidents? Did the Yanks fight the Mau Mau in Kenya? How many Yanks fought off the EOKA terrorists in Cyprus? Were the rubber planters protected by the Yanks in Malaya? There were no concentration camps for the nationalists of those countries. There were prisons, of course, but they were for the insurgents and they certainly were not exiled en masse.

If you are going to go spouting your head off, at least get your facts right.

The other fact is that I did not swear allegiance to anyone when I joined the Royal Navy. We weren’t lined up in some drill shed made to raise our right hand and repeat what was spoken to us. We British are not that paranoid.

If the British getting kicked out of Malaya is your idea of a success then words fail me.