View Single Post
Old 31-07-2008, 07:01   #33
Tin Monkey
Senior Member+

Re: Have you ever thought of selling up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
In no particular order - the weather, crime, the "credit crunch", highest taxes in Europe, Society going to the dogs and - Gordon Brown.
I never said anyone was a delusional dreamer and I did state that I was generalising, although I do think it's true.

As for the things you list....

the weather - not much different to how it's always been in the UK and many people see having proper seasons as a good thing.
crime - according to official sources, crime is actually falling fast in the UK. Recent figures published for Lancashire showed crime was down by 15%.
the "credit crunch" - is a global issue and not localised to the UK
highest taxes in Europe - but yet standards of living in the UK are higher now than they've ever been, with morbidity and infant mortality rates at all time lows. It can't all be bad.
Society going to the dogs - debatable. And again I don't believe that alot of the so-called anti-social issues are confined to the UK.
Gordon Brown - is an elected official and can be 'unelected' just as quickly. That's democracy.

I'm not getting into an argument here and I'm not really criticising you personally Westender, but I do think that there's developed a constant trend of knocking the UK and so often it's based on incorrect supposition and misinformed opinion.