View Single Post
Old 14-08-2008, 10:34   #14
Less
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Genetically modified crops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
Anyway, one suggestion was that better use could be made farming in the UK if we worked on a global level. For example, rather than trying to farm crops in Africa, where it's hard to arable farm due to the climate, you farm nothing but arable crops in countries where the climate is more suitable e.g. Western Europe for example. That would mean that we'd farm hardly any animals (that would be done elsewhere) and just grow cereals and other such crops. If all the countries worked together and produced the food stuffs that they were best suited to, then this would result in much higher levels of production.
So we grow crops on our fertile land and where abouts is this elsewhere that would grow meat? It couldn't be the areas of Africa because it is just as difficult to grow grass in these areas and grass is an essential ingrededient in the raising of most of the animals we eat.

If these animals are raised on such distant pastures what about transport costs? We already have people telling us to shop locally and use home grown products, which does seem to make some sort of sense compared with transporting from all corners of the globe, (now that's a phrase that confuses me, we live on a round rock so where are these corners?).

How many years ago was it that the European union offered our farmers money to stop using certain areas of land and allow them to go fallow? Perhaps before we export our meat industry we should do something about paying farmers to actually use land that we have rather than encourage them to become part of some giant monoculture?

Less is offline   Reply With Quote