Thread: Going Back
View Single Post
Old 21-08-2008, 19:41   #2
Eric
God Member

Re: Going Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
I had a rather surreal day yesterday and I wondered if anyone else has gone through similar

Basically 11 years ago I swapped from working Pub /Restaurants to working for Barclays. I started at the brand new just opening Call Centre in Salford Quays. At teh time I was dead proud of working there and thought it was well swish, you know, lifts that announced what floor, marble floored and walled bogs etc. I spent about 15 months there and really enjoyed my time there. I left in about August 98 to go to where I work to this day.

yesterday I went back to look into a problem that users there were experiencing in a system I am responsible for. Walking through the door I thought back to walking out on that last day there, considering teh excitement of what I was doing, and from a selfish POV what I earned then and what I earn now and I'm quite proud of how I've moved on in the last 10 years.

Then I got to where I worked.

Why is it you remember places as much much bigger than they really are?

and the people, whilst doing teh same job as they used to do seem so 'bored' when it was always somewhere exciting, vibrant etc?

is it just rose coloured specs or something else?
I used to get the same, or similar, feelings when I used to go back to England for a visit .... what I remembered was a hell of a lot different from what I found ... that's one of the reasons I stopped going. I think the "rose colored specs" thing is close.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote