View Single Post
Old 22-08-2008, 15:01   #66
jambutty
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: energy saving tips???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
Clean down the backs of radiators and down the middle of double radiators to help airflow. Apparently you can buy special brushes but I just tape on some sponge to the end of a garden cane

Read that putting tinfoil behind a radiator to reflect heat back into the room could save around the £20 per year ( dunno how they calculated that fig. Can‘t see it being per radiator) It seems a bit of a faff. Might do it as I work my way round the house decorating.
The last time that I did any decorating (a long while ago) I drained and removed the radiators to paper behind them. But first I lined the wall with baco foil and papered over the top.

Also at that time it was possible to buy expanded polystyrene by the roll. This was about 3mm thick, the same width as a roll of paper and was pasted onto the wall before papering. You just have to make sure that the polystyrene join did not coincide with the paper join. It made a noticeable difference to the room temperature.

In the kitchen I also installed one of those clothes racks that you could lower to load and pull up to the ceiling to dry the clothes. In the old days nearly every house had one. Heat rises and it is warmer near the ceiling than at ground level. A definite must for the older houses where the ceiling might be some 9 or 10 feet high. Useful for modern houses too. I don’t know if you can buy them these days. If not then there is a business opportunity for some entrepreneur.