View Single Post
Old 27-08-2008, 19:34   #4
Eric
God Member

Re: The Right To Bear Arms

Many people I know have guns in their homes. To get a gun in Canada one needs and FAC (firearms aquisition certificate) from the local police ... they run a check on your background for any criminal offences ... you also have to take a gun safety course .... and there are strict rules for safe storage of firearms and ammunition. You have to show your FAC when purchasing a gun or ammunition. Hand guns are difficult to get (legally). Licences for hand guns are usually only issued to members of pistol shooting clubs; and the punishments handed out for illegal possession of handguns are very stiff indeed. Many people in Canada are hunters and own rifles and shotguns for the purpose of hunting, which is strictly controlled by Federal and Provincial Governments. As a rule, you find more homes with guns in them in the rural areas of our country.

Sorry about the ramble; but I support the legal possession of firearms if there is a good reason for having them .... and I argue that hunting is a good reason ... I do believe that there should be strict controls on ownership and storage of weapons. My guns are stored in locked cabinets; one, with a bolt action, has the bolt removed and stored seperately. Ammunition is stored in another locked cabinet. The keys to both cabinets are locked in my safe. It is tragic that such an accident happened; but the question begging for an answer is: "how the hell did a loaded weapon get into the hands of a child?"
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote