View Single Post
Old 03-09-2008, 14:28   #40
WillowTheWhisp
Resident Waffler

Re: Abbey Street uniform shop - drug using equipment?

Right. I have been to the Abbey Street shop and spoken to one of the owners. He was a bit surprised at the idea of anything on sale in his shop being any more connected to drug abuse than anything on sale anywhere else in Accrington. He asked me to show him what was being referred to.

I must admit I had to have a good look before I actually found the items but then again Mick will tell you how observant I'm not. So I pointed out the cigarette papers and lighters and quite rightly he said there is nothing wrong with selling those. They are perfectly legal, I did mention that some of the lighters have a cannabis leaf image on them. I also pointed out 2 or 3 "rasta" ashtrays which have a smoking man and the odd cannabis leaf decoration implying that the man is smoking cannabis. He pointed out that similar ashtrays have been on sale in the local pound shops. I then pointed to the grinders which have been stated are for grinding up cannabis and he said he cannot control what people grind up in them but they are actually tobacco grinders and some of his customers use them to grind herbs which again is not illegal or drugs. I've got a similar shaped wooden grinder which is actually for chopping/grinding herbs. He was really puzzled that anybody would associate any of these things with drugs as he only associates them with legal tobacco. He asked my advice and I told him about this thread on the website and also suggested he might like to contact the schools and see if they do have any objections to these things being sold in the same store where the uniforms are sold. He also wondered if he should contact the council for advice.

He asked me if I knew the person who had made the original complaint on here and I told him that I do not. He would appreciate it if you would call into the shop eattothebeat and talk to him personally about this.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote