View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 06:50   #14
shakermaker
God Member

Re: McCain's Running Mate.... no surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Shaker , what you have to realize about the US is that for all the supposed 'modernity' the place still has a strong Puritan ethic .......a prime example , and this is no joke and you will roll on the floor laughing , but.....I've found lots of Americans still have a belief that you are some sort of a 'sexual de-generate if your underwear is any colour but white .
I see loads of folks in my area going to church on Sundays , but the problem is they are not the 'mainstream' Churchs , but the Blood and Brimstone evilgelical type , (not so much different than the radical islamic mosques ) Everything can be described by using the old cowboy movie analogy/metaphor , White Hat = Good , Black Hat = Bad with no compromise in the middle.
Think what we are seeing in present day Republican party are the last gasps of white political power , population projections show that whites will be a minority by 2040 (still the largest group, but less than 50% of the total ) thus the Republicans distaste for abortion , (more whites have abortions than any other group).
Pfft, and who thought independence would be a good idea. You wouldn't be in this mess if we still owned you.
It's a terrible state of affairs across the pond - far worse than our situation - and I for one hope for the people of America that democratic change can occur. The amount of people without health care is sickening and the notion of transparency's comatose state in Washington is doing no favours.
From my limited knowledge on the candidates for the upcoming election, Obama seems to be the only viable option for kick-starting some sort of change for good.

Huckabee was on the Colbert Report the other night... what planet is that guy on!?
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote