View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 09:15   #38
Wynonie Harris
Super Moderator

Re: Do People Look As You Imagined Them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Got to say the only "mental image' of any Accy-web user I can come up with is of Gayle .........every post of hers I read I see/imagine ...the actress Emma Thompson .
Before I met Gayle, I imagined her as the classic caricature of a politically-correct womens' libber - frumpy, overweight, dressed in shabby hippie-type clothes, scowling, always on the look out for some perceived lapse into racism/sexism in the conversation. I was, therefore, quite surprised to discover that she was warm, friendly, intelligent, smart and attractive...which just goes to show that you shouldn't stereotype people.

Meeting Cashy was something of a shock too. After we'd talked on-line about the dozens of people we both knew and the places we went to at the same time back in the 60's, I expected to recognise him instantly...but I didn't know him from Adam. I must have been more out of it than I thought way back then!

The other person who didn't live up to my imagined image was the late Ianto.W. After our huge on-line row when he first joined, I expected a thin, miserable-looking sort of bloke with a persona to match. Instead, I found a large, expansive man with a warm personality and who turned out to be a laugh a minute. Although I only met him once, I still miss him.

As for you, Pipinfort, I can't for the life of me understand how you can be a regular up t'Stanley and NOT have met any Accywebbers. They're here, there and everywhere up there and I've met around twenty-odd simply by standing on the Clayton End, although I suppose you have to know one to "unlock the key" to rest...