View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 14:55   #31
Lilly
God Member

Re: Who Remembers.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I'll try to explain it better.

Example - Junior Classes - there are 5 Junior Classes but children only do 4 Junior years. There are up to 40 children in any year group but a maximum of 30 in any class.

So when they move up from infants to juniors they could go into Junior1 or Junior 2. The 10 oldest or brightest go into Junior 2 leaving 30 in Junior 1. Each child will do four years in Juniors so for example Maddie, who's birthday is in October is one of the oldest, headed into Junior 2 so she'll do classes 2, 3, 4, and 5. She's now in 3.

Her friend is actually in the year group ahead of her but her birthday is in August so she's one of the youngest in her year group. She is now in the same class because she did Junior 1, 2 and is now in 3 with Maddie.

I probably still haven't explained it very well but what it means is that children are working with children of similar abilities. If you think about it, a year is a long time in the development of a child and someone born on September 1st can have a whole year of development ahead of someone born on the following August 31st. Because of the system at St Mary's the maximum age gap between the oldest and youngest in a class is around 8 months and not a full year and it can cross over a year group.

No, probably still haven't explained it well but it works, thinking back I remember it - just wondered if anyone else did as it is unusual.
I see what you mean now. Thanks, Gayle.
Accrington Web