View Single Post
Old 11-09-2008, 23:19   #73
blazey
God Member

Re: The Law's an Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
Please clarify, as a Conservative are you advocating Free University places for all or only for those from low incomes?
For all.

The tax player pays to educate everyone who goes to prison so why not everyone who wants to go to University? There will still be admissions criteria and money goes to University from all sorts of private funding. For example the City Solicitor's Education Trust gives funding to law departments all over the country, and I am sure there are many other funds for other subjects.

Places would be more limited but the whole point of University is that the brightest and most able get the better qualifications. I'm sure I'm not the only person who read that the value of a degree has actually dropped recently due to the numbers of people now able to get degree's.

It's nice that everyone can go to uni if they want to but what really is the point of it if there aren't enough graduate rate jobs to go around? It's just getting people into debt just to end up in jobs they could have gone to anyway. To the extent that McDonalds is in the 100 Top Gradute Recruiters guide and has been for years.

So yes, I would close the doors to university a little if it meant it was cheaper and made my degree more worthwhile.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote