View Single Post
Old 17-09-2008, 16:22   #10
emzy
Senior Member+

Re: Is Chivalry Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Chivalry isn’t just about being courteous to women but being courteous to all people.

My adult kids will carry stuff from my car even if it is light enough for me to carry it.

I will open a door and hold it open for anyone regardless of age or sex. I do so because I cannot walk as fast as they do. Most people seem to be in an awful hurry these days so I prefer to step aside rather than risk being pushed aside. Far too many people, both men and women do not even glance at me let alone nod or smile a thank you and I can’t remember the last time that I actually heard someone say thank you. But that isn’t chivalry as such. That’s self preservation.

In my younger days I would do all the gentlemanly things for a lady because I was brought up to do so. Sadly there are few ladies around these days, just women - especially the younger ones.

Chivalry should be accepted with good grace and not demanded with crossed arms, a frown and a tapping foot.
I hold the door open for other people (generally anoyone behind me regardless of who they are), despite struggling to do this with a double pram i still do it.

As for there being few ladies around these days, maybe you are right, but as for holding doors open, saying thanks etc, i do this as this is how i would like to be treated myself
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote