View Single Post
Old 21-09-2008, 10:09   #29
jaysay
Resting in Peace

Re: car thefts - has this been mentioned here already?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Years ago a neighbour wrapped his car around a lamppost and he got the bill from Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council for the repair. Thus I assume that lampposts are the responsibility of the local authority.

But that was then and this is now so I rang the Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council to ask the question.

I was told that the Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council Highway Authority known as the “Traffic Division” is responsible for all adopted streets and roads within the borough and that includes lampposts, road signs, kerb side railings etc. The “Traffic Division” works in conjunction with United Utilities if electricity is involved in the structure.

I also asked what was the policy on the public using lampposts to chain a scooter to. The lady that I spoke to was unable to give an answer, but off the record she hinted that as long as the chain does not damage the lamppost no one would bother and of course it would depend on which lamppost.

I would imagine that other boroughs would have a similar responsibility.
Blackburn with Darwen are responcible for their own street maintanance, lighting, roads gutters pavements ect, as they are a unitry authority, places like Hyndburn, Rossendale and Burnley, are part of LCC who are responcible for the upkeep of all roads lighting and footpaths not the local council. Hyndburn used to do road repairs under licence from LCC, but now the County do their own