Thread: Blackburn 24/7?
View Single Post
Old 25-09-2008, 14:01   #79
jambutty
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Blackburn 24/7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by booth76 View Post
You do expect moderators to actively moderate, in that they look at what they can within their timeframe and check for reported posts, temporarily keep an eye on new members and watch out for anyone that may have caused a problem in the past.

But you can't expect voluntary moderators to have to read every single post. On a site like this it wouldn't be humanly possible with the amount of activity.

We all have the right to not read, comment or look at something which may not be for them. What's good for one isn't for another. I wouldn't like any forum to be over-censored, that's why every site like this allows people to block other users.
I’m sorry booth76 but you can expect moderators to read every new post. Moderating means applying the forum rules to all and that means reading every post. It is the way to forestall any unacceptable posts and the backlash that they generate. If the workload is too much for one person then invite someone else to become a mod. I also take the view that moderators should be invited by the forum owner on say a 3 months trial rather than seeking volunteers.

A forum should also have a folder that is invisible to members where mods and admin can discus forum issues.

This right to read or not is all very well but until your read that offensive post you won’t know it is offensive. You cannot unread what you have read.

Blocking posts from a particular member is akin to putting your fingers in your ears and talking loudly so that you don’t hear what is being said to you. Not very adult!