View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 22:21   #94
yonmon
Senior Member+

Re: Accrington Stanley - Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
I have yet to hear any discussion or argument made more powerful by the use of bad/industrial language - whatever term we wish to use. I'm sorry, but when such language is used, it always seems to me to be the last despairing hope of the intellectually inadequate; in other words, the loser.
Being somewhat of a champion of 'using the right words an the right places' and very seldom, if ever using expletives (Unless I'm repeating some risque joke or other!), I am inclined to agree with you Red.
However, much of the incorporate language heard in the Documentary under discussion is, I am sad to say, common usage in most areas of Society today, and by people from 7 to 70!. One of these areas is in the world of Soccer, and you will know that it is not just the Chairman, Manager and Players at the FES who are given to using words that at the best can be described as 'Foul' ( Not Foul as in contravening the laws of the game !). but right across the Board!.
If Granada's 'fly-on-the-wall' series is intended to present a truthful portrayal of life at a Football Club,
then if it's manner of ensuring adequate communications amongst those involved includes words that maybe we wouldn't think of using, then it, being Television!, will without a shadow of doubt, use this to sell the programme to ensure the wider audience which it craves!.
As to whether the use of offensive language might put off Fathers bringing their Children to the FES, then whatever Granada, or the FA say about it , or as many postings as we care to put on our Forum,this will not make it a suitable place for anyone who has any strong feelings about the insensitive use of 'bad language'!,
Although I will watch the ensuing 'episodes' with interest, I am afraid that these might only go to underline the fact that if I want to carry on being a fan of 'the Reds', then I will not have to take that much notice of the strange, and as seen by some, socially-unacceptable words which I know I am going to hear !..
One can only hope that those of a genteel nature are not hurt or embarrassed, either by the Programme, or during a visit to the FES !. This would be totally unforgivable !.
( A brief PS to T-M !)...I hope that you know me better than to think that I'm plunging my head into the
Desert sand !...but honestly,finding any answer to the mixed, and interesting postings on this topic would seem to be an almost impossible task !

Alfred.E. thinks that Stuart Hall is 'the Bee's Knees'!

yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote