Thread: Fireworks
View Single Post
Old 28-10-2008, 13:28   #20
jambutty
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Fireworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I wouldn't call it the same old boring rhetoric.....more like genuine concern and yes we do have it every year because it happens every year.

When the government see sense and ban the sale of fireworks to the general public we won't have these concerns.

When I was young my dad bought a box of standard fireworks on Nov 5th and we set them off that evening in the back yard. They were not bangers, they were more about the colours than the bangs....now I do the same with my children although too many people do not use them in this way.

There are some very irresponsible people out there who mis-use fireworks and serious incidents are happening every year. In my opinion it is about time they were stopped.

When some idiot shoves one through your letterbox and your flat sets on fire you may change your mind.
Just because some people misuse fireworks they should be banned, should they? First of all that will put the sale of fireworks underground and thus unregulated and that will most likely lead to badly made fireworks being imported and causing much more mayhem.

So let’s put this issue into context. In 2005 there were two deaths and under 1,000 injuries from the sale and use or misuse of millions of fireworks. If that and the irresponsible use of fireworks is enough to be calling for a ban then the same principle should be applied to the sale and use of alcohol and not forgetting the ubiquitous motor vehicle on the grounds of causing deaths and injuries.

Ah! But you must use some form of motorised transport to get around and probably like a drink so there is no chance of you campaigning for them to be banned is there?

It all smacks of a case of, if you don’t like something and don’t use that something, get it banned with scant consideration of other people’s views.

As for some idiot pushing a firework through my letterbox – I will tackle that problem if and when it arises. But I have more chance of being killed or injured by some idiot road user.

As I stated earlier – fireworks - live with them. Its not as if they are let off every day of the year.