Thread: Fireworks
View Single Post
Old 28-10-2008, 14:31   #22
Lilly
God Member

Re: Fireworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Just because some people misuse fireworks they should be banned, should they? First of all that will put the sale of fireworks underground and thus unregulated and that will most likely lead to badly made fireworks being imported and causing much more mayhem.

So let’s put this issue into context. In 2005 there were two deaths and under 1,000 injuries from the sale and use or misuse of millions of fireworks. If that and the irresponsible use of fireworks is enough to be calling for a ban then the same principle should be applied to the sale and use of alcohol and not forgetting the ubiquitous motor vehicle on the grounds of causing deaths and injuries.

Ah! But you must use some form of motorised transport to get around and probably like a drink so there is no chance of you campaigning for them to be banned is there?

It all smacks of a case of, if you don’t like something and don’t use that something, get it banned with scant consideration of other people’s views.

As for some idiot pushing a firework through my letterbox – I will tackle that problem if and when it arises. But I have more chance of being killed or injured by some idiot road user.

As I stated earlier – fireworks - live with them. Its not as if they are let off every day of the year.
As has been said, if it was just the one night we could live with it......it's when it goes on for weeks that it gets out of hand.

I don't like walking down the street at night during the firework season as there are always groups of idiots throwing them around so I have to scuttle past, hoping they won't throw one at me.