View Single Post
Old 05-11-2008, 14:50   #28
harold

Re: Chaigley Manor Trust

Hi, I used to be a teacher in HYndburn and used Chaigley Manor so I thought I would put what I know about the Trust.
Initially the Manor was bought by Accrington to be a home for children,for deprived children ,convalescing children,children that needed protection etc. It received money from commerce, Trade Union Workers whose pay had a deduction of a few pence per month and fund raising events in the town. It became increasing difficult to finance as Trade Union members declined and a decision was made to allow schools in Hyndburn to use the Manor as an activity centre (paying guests ) The Manor became very busy with a number of schools taking advantage of a cheap holiday with obvious benefit for lots of children who rarely had a holiday or even visited the countryside. The manor relied on using training students from various local colleges, they had free board training but didn't get paid.
THe crunch came with new legistration insisted all people who work with chidren need to be quailified,there to be two shifts and health and safety issues fully implemented.
The building needed serious renovation, they now couldn't afford the staff and reluctantly it had to be sold. Many East Lancs boroughs had such properties and all have gone the same way.
The money from the sale is still held by the trust which gives it out year by year to all the schools of Hyndburn on the basis of numbers in Year 6.
The intention is that the schools use the money to subsidise their school visits and help pay for any children whose parents cannot/will not pay.
In my opinion losing the Manor was a great loss and deprived the children of a wonderful asset.
These are my observations and no doubt there are many people who know more but I hope some questions about the trust have been answered.
harold is offline   Reply With Quote