View Single Post
Old 21-11-2008, 14:03   #19
Less
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Benefit cuts for single parents

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
It seems that the Government are about to start a witch hunt on single parents for children aged 12 and over (7 and over in two years time) They face losing 40% of their benefits if they can't prove they are actively seeking work. I know nearly everybody has a view on this issue, but for my own part I think they are treading on very dangerous ground, for on, no two peoples circumstances are the same, and there are a lot of single parents would love to go back to work, but at a time when unemployment is likely to rise to close on 3 million, this may not be the right time to embark on this action
Hmm,

[quote][Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me./QUOTE]

It's another of those difficult things!

Of course every child is innocent and needs looking after, but the Mothers?

Well, actually yes of course, to function correctly as single parent's, (by single parent's I don't include separated or divorced women, I mean those that chose or due to circumstances are not involved with a partner), also need looking after, but to make a career of it at the expense of others? Is that right?

The system is far better than it used to be, were a single mother would either end up on the streets and if lucky, end up in the hands of a charity.

But, since the period of, 'free love', reputed to be around in the sixties, (I seemed to blink and miss it!).

We, as a society claim to 'understand', but where does understanding and tolerance of repeated mistakes become wrong?

I was married, my wife decided that she would stop at home and look after our children, fair enough, other mothers wanted to get back in there and so employed minders, a similar sacrifice.

But, single mothers? Yes if you've made a mistake, I for one don't want you or an innocent child to suffer, but if you're going to turn it into a career, please at least consider the poor soul's that have to contribute to your upkeep, they need to live as well, so how about a compromise?

You're single, you get pregnant, a house/flat will be provided, but if after finding how difficult bringing a child up on your own is, then don't blame or expect everyone else to help if it happens again, we are busy bringing up our relations!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote