View Single Post
Old 29-11-2008, 19:25   #90
g jones
Senior Member+

Re: Drug and Alcohol Dendency Unit on Avenue Parade

I think it was common sense in the end. The PCT said they had been in discussions with Council for 2 years and when the partnership (HBC+PCT) collapsed on Wednesday last week (26th the day before the Board was due to decide) it was over.

The PCT apologised. They said no-one at the Council had told them anything other than the Green light. They were told residents were on board as were ward councillors. They could and would not trample on people's views. So it was over for Peel house. That will NEVER be considered for such a facility.

The campaign was excellent. Right idea - Wrong Location. It was obvious the problem was the Council doing back door deals. The residents knew by getting me (as opposition leader) to table a motion against The Council, and The MP to call for it to stop (The Parliamentary campaign Greg v PeterB), one side would force the other to capitulate.

As the PCT said several times, if the Council withdraws support the scheme collapses. Of course there are afters. Greg is being blamed for an opportunist who wrote his objection letter 'in blood' as Councillor Paul Barton described it to 120 angry residents who wanted to lynch him.

And Bernard and myself for listening to the PCT in summer before being the ones to kick up a fuss first in early September. The Council and the PCT had in fact done a deal to control the agenda but when the pact between the PCT & HBC could not be broken we spoke out.

Last edited by g jones; 29-11-2008 at 19:30.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote