View Single Post
Old 29-12-2008, 18:26   #211
VALAIRIAN
God Member

Re: Please Read; The Seats The Facts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Shakey, like yourself, it's Stanley first and last for me...always has been, always will be. When we left the league in '62 I was one of the few of that generation of Accy lads who didn't go off to Ewood or the Turf, but carried on watching Lancs Comb football at Peel Park until the club finally gave up the ghost in '66. Even then, I refused to watch football until Stanley started up again. I have no interest in any other club and rarely watch games on TV or follow the comings and goings in the Premiership.

However, I think your attitude of disdain to two-club fans and your tactics in insulting them by calling them "hypocrites" is wrong, wrong, wrong. When I stand on the Clayton End, more often than not, I'm with Cashy - he's a Rovers man through and through, but he's there paying his money and supporting Stanley like the rest of us. A few steps away, stands Bagpuss - a Liverpool man who's doing the same. A bit further down I often see a lad who I know is a Burnley fan and so it goes, all around the stadium. If you drive away the dual-club fans, you will find that our gates will go from pitiful to being critical.

But, I don't just want to keep these fans - I want more of these "hypocrites" who you seem to despise to come along and adopt us as their second club. Yes, the future of Stanley lies in attracting more young 'uns to adopt us as their first club (which is why Liam's Match Day Club is such a good idea), but in the meantime, we can gain valuable revenue and vocal support by attracting some of the members of the "lost generations" back to us (even if it is as a second club).

Also, I think many of these fans come along because we offer something that's not available at their own clubs in their all-seater stadiums. And that is the atmosphere of the Clayton End terraces - an atmosphere which I feel will be altered and lessened by the introduction of seating on the lower tiers. Yes, the club will make a short-term cost saving by not having to install a stand on the Whinney Hill side, but I just hope that it doesn't lead to long-term losses by reducing our appeal to casual fans.
Great post Wynonie, Sums it up!!

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web