View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 10:47   #30
jaysay
Resting in Peace

Re: Back in the good old days

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
What's this Jaysay ?

Actually, reading your memories Jaysay, feel I must have been privileged, do not particularly have memories as you have.

Although neighbours had long drops, we had a flush toilet, and the paraffin lamp was always in situ during an icy spell. Bathroom was installed early in my life, as cannot just remember what it was like before we had one, although certainly remember the jerry under the bed ... LOL. Remember my dad clearing a path out to the toilet during snow periods.

Always came down in the morning to a roaring fire and cooked breakfast. Mum worked until my Gran, who lived with us, died when I was 12. She was a weaver, my dad a clothlooker. Must have got up very early to ensure we were OK when getting up ... although Gran helped of course.

Was never put to bed without my winceyette nightdress, a hot water bottle and fresh sheets with two utility natural coloured blankets plus a feather quilt. Radiator type heater in bedroom too.

We had a small asbestos kitchen extension in our 2 up/2 down, but don't remember it being cold, what with extra heater and oven being in there.

Woolies were always hand knitted and 'wool' of course .. much warmer than these synthetic fibres.

No, not well off at all but blessed with organised parents I guess. I can truthfully say were 'Good Old Days'.
Tatas kate, bleeding cold that's what tatas is My problem was that when I was very young both my mum and dad were both laid low by illness well my dad lost a finger using a woodworking machine and was of work for ages, and his firm weren't insured and shortly after they went bust too. My mother had pneumonia and was off work for months, so after that, even though they both went back to work they were always chasing the game just to catch up. As for a winceyette nightie kate brings an all new meaning to keeping your nightie round your toes me thinks