View Single Post
Old 13-01-2009, 17:10   #26
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: solar 12v battery chargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
That just goes to show how a little bit of knowledge does more harm than good, I said nothing whilst you wrongly suggested a volt meter should be connected as an Ammeter,

I cringed then said nothing while you mentioned cutting a lead acid cell open, (with or without acid still in there, residue will remain),

But to state that an ammeter isn't sensitive enough, Oh, please stop while I can remain polite, what do you suppose we, the professionals use to measure micro & milli-amps?

Please, Please, check your advice as much as you might believe it to be true, before you hurt somebody!

Thanks less, I do know about milli & micro amps, mostly found in radio & television circuits, might be some used on the newer cars in the fancy circuit board they install these days, the reason I use a volt meter to test in the way I suggested, you can expect 12 volts on a car battery, but how the eck do you know what amps to expect, can be anything up to 60 odd amps and what use is your milliamp meter then, could end up with a fried meter, my biggest meter will only measure up to 10 amps.

As to cutting open car batteries, whats wrong with that, I've cut open several in the past, for the metal inside, it contains on average 12% antimony, I then mixed it with lead and 2% tin to make hardened bullets, of which I've shot many 1000's, in both rifle & pistol calibres.
And I've got the competition medals to prove it.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote