View Single Post
Old 22-01-2009, 15:25   #1
garinda
Give, give, give member

Living off the fat of the land.

The leader of Hyndburn Borough Council, Cllr. Britcliffe, is quoted in this weekend's Observer, justyifying the increases in allowances some of our councillors have voted to award themselves.

The allowance for an overnight hotel stay has increased from £99.69 to £145.00 per night.

An evening meal allowance has increased from £10.24 to £25.00.

Faced with criticism from some members of the council that increases of such a great a percentage weren't wise in the current financial climate, Cllr. Britcliffe is quoted as saying, in regard to a recent trip of his to Downing Street, that 'surely you wouldn't expect the leader to camp out in Hyde Park', and 'anybody who can find a meal for £10 in London should write a tourist guide'.

Well, I have no intention of writing a tourist guide, but as someone who lived in London for seventeen years, and like millions of fellow Londoners, managed to eat out very reasonably, without the need for a subsidy from the tax payer's purse, here is my advice.

The Stockpot in Old Compton Street, walking distance from Downing Street, is the perfect place to enjoy a good traditional dinner. Two courses and a glass of red wine will cost under a tenner.

Alternatively Pizza Hut in the Haymarket, again walking distance from Number 10, is a place you can enjoy a medium pizza and salad, and a glass of wine for £9.95.

As for accommodation I know the telephone number of any number of decent hotels in Bayswater and South Kensington, where you can find B & B for £85.00 per night, and the price doesnt change with the season.

This information I'm freely passing on to our leader isn't a secret, known only to Londoners, it is quite accessible to anyone. Anyone who is funding their own trip perhaps, and is not having their trips paid for by the cash strapped residents of Hyndburn.

I hope this information has been useful. If I can ever give any more information that might prevent future increases in councillor's allowances, please feel free to contact me.

As for 'camping in Hyde Park', do be careful after dark.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web