View Single Post
Old 22-01-2009, 17:53   #11
katex
Resting in Peace

Re: Living off the fat of the land.

Have to slightly put up a different view here Garinda.

I have stayed in 100's of hotels in London (and visited them in the course of my job), and even Travel Lodges charge £85 >> £90 near the centre .. with no restaurant available .. 'cept a machine containing confectioneries.

Before I retired last January, most hotels in London were certainly working out at £100 + per night .. the ones which were accessible to a tube station.

As for the meals, well yes, could walk down the street to the local Pizza Hut if necessary, and have done on many occasions, however, even though I never had any fear of going out of the hotel at night, always felt much safer and less hassle to use a hotel with a restaurant (which B & B's don't have). Can't remember within the last two years when a meal in a hotel's restaurant cost less than £ 20 .. just with one course and 1/2 bottle of wine (which I always felt entitled to after traveling all day). Also hate the communal dining room of a B & B in the morning ... preferred to have it my room as the chatter of other guests first thing in the morning did not set me up well for the rest of the day.

We do have lady concillors too you know who would be nervous of venturing out of a safe environment at night.

Also, the good B & B's are usually booked up way in advance.

In other words, I do not find the increase unreasonable at all.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote