View Single Post
Old 27-01-2009, 19:19   #10
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: old Fire Station on Manchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
This building went to auction at least 12 months ago, if I remember correctly, it went for £450,000, and the proposal at that time was for apartments, but I believe there was an issue with parking spaces. I stand to be corrected though, as some of the info received is likely to be just heresay.
When I worked there all the parking spaces were clearly defined, the cops had theirs, weights and measures had theirs & the rest was fire brigade.

The history of the site where the cop shop, fire station and the houses were built is interesting, to me anyway. It might look a sturdy building, but its not, the foundations have been shored up in some places, the rear wall in Grange Lane had to be rebuilt, during the 1970's, the houses on the Grange Lane side, had tons of concrete poured under them, some of the susidence was near a foot in places, there are large cracks in the station drill yard,which have been patched up with new tarmac, and some of the old houses that were in what became the drill yard, are still there, underground intact. The cops wanted an underground control room, when the builders cut through the wall in the cellar, they arrived at the open window of an old cottage, every thing inside was intact, walls fire places, even some old furniture, the builders backed off quick & sealed the wall back up. The under ground control room never got built.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote