Thread: BT Broadband
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 05:00   #14
entwisi
God Member

Re: BT Broadband

to Mancie, it does take a week to setle when you get ADSL but that does seem very slow. Are you using any extention wires from the main socket to where the router is plugged in? If you are its likely that you have a noisy line. try connecting it at the main socket itself just as a test, if its better then you know your extention needs replacing. are you also using wired or wireless from the home hub?

@Jambutty - its perectly possible to spread your website across all 75Meg if you plan it correctly(although I agree its a pain in the buttocks). If you use one space for your HTML only, the others for images/javascript/CSS etc. In your HTML as long as you reference the absolute path for the images it works fine. In my line of work we rarely host static content on teh same servers as the dynamic stuff( as a lightweight server with just Apache, well IBM HTTP Server which is a nastardised form of Apache) running on it allows the dynamice servers to concentrate on doing their job. as an example we may use XXXX.barclays.co.uk for the main 'site' but XXXX.images.barclays.co.uk for static content ( images, javascript, CSS etc)

XXXX obviously changes depending on the service, whether its load balanced, protected by an auth layer etc.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote