View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 21:31   #324
Bernard Dawson
Senior Member+

Re: Britcliffe monthly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
In a very real sense you do cease to be a member of the general public when you are elected ... you become a servant of the public, a guardian of the public weal ... kinda like the Pope (the one in Rome), "servant of the servants of God"; and in many cases and situations you will be called upon to subordinate your personal biases and beliefs to the general good. And if you ignore that call, you should become, once again, a private citizen, a true member of the public.
Eric. A lot of what you say I agree with. There is no question local councillors are there to represent the people who voted for them, and also the ones that didn't.

And that is what the majority of councillors try to do. But people also expect us to spend their money wisely And in my view we have a duty to speak up when we think that it's not being spent all that wisely.

The point I was trying to make about councillors being part of the general public, is that most councillors live in the ward they represent,and as such are part of that community
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote