View Single Post
Old 12-02-2009, 03:50   #43
steeljack
God Member

Re: 1066 and all that ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Don't get to glorified in your nations Canada/American... forlorn defeats or victories in the world wars.. they were world wars because this nation was pinicale to anything the USA, Canada..and all the more civilized world as was then known..without Britain the "west" would have been .. in time.. destroyed by the Nazis...you played your part and I myself am grateful.. but don't get carried away boys.. it was an "Allied" victory
Don't think anyone is saying it wasn't a "joint effort" just saying that one or two events stick in a nations psyche have a unifying effect ...... think of the Blitz on London and how Queen at the time visited the East End to show she was 'one of them' .

But at the same time, the history of the first and second World Wars as taught/projected when I went to school 50s/60s was that Britain with help from the Dominians that faced the enemy , when in fact it should have Britain united with the Dominians faced the enemy .

realistically speaking ,apart from the ideas of 'kith and kin' there was no need for the Aussies/Kiwis/Canadians to enter what was 'only' a European conflict until the attack on Pearl Harbour and the Japanese sweep southwards

Bit of a wander, But just something to think about ...... what would you think Britain/United Europes response would be if China in the near future decided it needed to expand southwards towards Australia/New Zealand to accomodate its increasing population ? Who do you think would be the first to help them out ?
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote