View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 09:21   #400
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: Expenses, expenses...

As for myself, there seems to be one major point that appears to be being overlooked in this discussion.

Let's suppose that H.B.C. was controlled by Labour, and it was them and not the Conservatives who'd decided to ignore the recommendations of an independent panel, and voted to award themselves a 45% increased allowance.

My criticism and condemnation would have been equally vociferous and as scathing. Especially if the the increases had been accompanied by similar supercilious quotes as we've had from Cllr. Britcliffe.

Besides being a point of principal, that it really isn't very wise to chose to disregard the recommended limits, considering so many people are having to settle for either no pay rises, or rises below the rate of inflation, or worse still go on short time, which many in Hyndburn are having to do, perhaps it isn't going to mean a great deal of extra money having to be found in the great scheme of things, especially compared with the £591,000 that the council were granted, and then wasted on the defunct community website, for example.

That's really not the point. I was brought up to believe that if you look after the pennies, then the pounds look after themselves...even tenners for a 'hot dog and a Coke'.

Although I'd still be highly critical of whichever group of councillors had thought themselves worthy of such a massive rise at this time, I very much doubt anyone would have used the Freedom of Information Act to look for some sort of defence this way, certainly not from a Conservative party supporter, in the vain hope of convincing us that two wrongs make a right. Which they certainly don't in my book.

That is the major difference. Certainly as I see it.

Last edited by garinda; 03-03-2009 at 09:28.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote