View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 17:33   #45
Taggy
Senior Member+

Re: The area I grew up in. Woodnook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi Retlaw, thanks for photo of when The Star was just about to be demolished. Arrgh, brought back lovely memories of my childhood. The shop at the opposite end to the pub was last owned by a Mr Cooper if I remember correctly. I remember as a kid going down past the side of his shop, it led you to Grange Street. On the corner of this street was Tommy Murray's butchers. Many a time over the years I have wished for that shop to be back!
The before and after views of Welly Bob Street are sad to see, I much prefer the "before" view, even though well before my time. Anyone remember "before" The Poplar Working Mens club was built? I seem to recall rather a nice house, the front of the house NOT on the street side, and an elderly lady who went to Christ Church Street living there??????

Atarah
I recall Tommy Murrays butchers...best butcher in town. Always remember him giving the Chickens feet to us kids so we could pull the tendon and make the feet open and close!!

I also remember the lovely old house where the extension was built for the Pop club. It got rented out for a while after the old lady died but was'nt looked after properly and went downhill and was then demolished. Before the Pop club extension was built, this area was left as "spare ground" for a few years and we used to hold our Bonfire Nights there. The Pop club was always there prior to the extension being built but just consisted of a couple of terrace houses knocked through. I remember going on one of there Summer Trips to Southport! I used to live on Royds Street then, from being born in 1957 till 1987!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote