View Single Post
Old 05-03-2009, 17:24   #48
Taggy
Senior Member+

Re: The area I grew up in. Woodnook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi Taggy, no, am not mistaken. We used to go to Woodnook St Mary's for Sunday School lessons, honest! And then we also used the Church Hall, now flats as you say, for other things as well, pantomines and jumble sales etc.
What years was this Atarah? I can only assume it was before i went there, have spoken to Magpie and she cant recall the Sunday school there either. They did have joined wooden desks, but they wer'nt around the edge of the room, they were set out in rows facing the blackboards. Mr Bartons class had small partitions dividing the room off, and there was another classroom divided by large floor to ceiling partitions which could also be rolled back. That room was used by Mr Phillips, Mr Clegg then Mr Whalley.

Was it Justin Wenter who used to take the school or not? He was the Vicar at Christ Church when i was born, in fact he Christened me! He used to like a drink or two i was told, apparently he stunk of drink at my Christening!!....This might explain something!!! LOL!! His daughter Vicky was later on a Stewardess at the Canine Club. George Storey took over at Christ Church after him....another vicar who loved a drop or two!!!

I also recall the club on Cotton Street, or Cotton Street Mission as i think it was called. I'm scratching my head trying to recall the name of the couple that ran it. They lived next door to my Gran on Belfield road, he was called Jim and was a Major in the Army.

Best Regards - Taggy

Ahh....just remembered there names Major and Mrs Jim Connor! There was also an old lady who used to help there called Mary Lyon.

Last edited by Taggy; 05-03-2009 at 17:27.
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote