View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 10:45   #442
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: Expenses, expenses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Amen to that Roy, absolutely spot on, as some one who worked away from home on a regular basis, you could actually build up a good list of where to stay and were to eat at reasonable costs, but when your on the odd visit representing the local authority, you don't get time to walk around looking for bargain of the day in the food stakes, especially in central London, which is a nightmare at the best of times
I've said before many times, no one should be out of pocket when it comes to expenses, and no one would have needed to be if the independently recommended limits had been accepted, as can be clearly seen in neighbouring boroughs to Hyndburn. There was even a London weighting suggested, which seems a reasonable recommendation, but which the Conservative councillors also chose to ignore.

There is a difference between the private and public sector. I never had a limit for expenses. My bosses accepted I wouldn't take advantage by ordering a la carte and quaffing Cristal champagne at their expense. There are firms in the city who've been happy to settle £10,000 lunch bills, though I expect that this might not be the case now, and such past extravagances may have long term effects on such companies.

Sadly if there isn't a limit there's always going to be someone who's going to take the proverbial, and that isn't acceptable when it's being funded by Council Tax payers, many of whom are struggling to feed themselves and their families, whilst keeping a roof over their heads, and trying to find the money to pay our ever increasing bills.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote